It is currently Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:19 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]
 Post subject: Motor Quit
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:45 pm 

I was cleaning today, stopped the vac to change a tool, now the vac will not start. Any suggestions?
Gus

Post subject: Re: Motor Quit
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:15 pm 

Dyson model: DC14 Animal
Welcome Gus. :)

What model is it? (DC04/DC07 etc) A common problem with the older uprights is a bad connection in the cable where it joins the body of the cleaner. To check, turn the machine off at the wall, wiggle the cable where it enters the cleaner, then turn it back on again. Repeat a few times and see if it sparks into life again.

You could check the fuse in the plug too and try plugging something else into the socket to check that is still working.

Let us know how you get on.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:57 pm 

Could also be that the carbons have reached the end of their life? A similar thing happened with a second-hand DC14 All Floors I used to have. I vacuumed one room, switched it off, wheeled it into the next room, went to turn it on again, and...nothing!

When I took it apart, I found the carbons had worn down to tiny stumps, and weren't making contact any more.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:00 pm 

The wall socket works with nightlight, so I know that is good. The HEPA filter was very dirty, so I cleaned it and am waiting for it to dry. I have the DC07 Animal. I have heard that if the filter is plugged, the internal circuit breaker trips, but resets after some time. Do not know if this is true or not. Just a note too, this is the second motor on this machine in 4 years. I do use it quite often, however. About 5 times a week in a 1500 square foot carpeted home.
Thank you for the quick reply.
Gus.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:06 pm 

Dyson model: DC14 Animal
Yes, that can happen. If the filter is completely clogged then no air will get to the motor, causing it to overheat and a thermal cut-out breaks the circuit until it cools down. Not sure whether that's the problem in your case though as it wasn't turned on when it stopped working. You'll soon find out once the filter has dried!

What dysonanimal says is another good explaination though you'd be doing well to get through a new motor every two years!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:11 pm 

Thanks for everyone's help in the forum. I put the HEPA filter back in after cleaning and drying it, and the vacuum fired up. I guess I'll put this in my maintenance memory bank.
Thanks again,
Gus

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]