It is currently Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:37 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]
 Post subject: Is my DC05 overheating??
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:39 pm 

Dyson model: DC05
Hey, just after some guidance. intermittently, my DC05 doesn't want to switch on and it hasnt been working for a few days.

About an hour ago, I found some maintenance guides online and stripped it down. Visibly it looked ok so my first test was to replace the plug. I cut about 6 inches off, replaced the plug and that seemed to work.

Only now it's just cut out again! What I did notice as I started to dismantle it was the heat. I fully extended the cable and the end was near enough too hot to touch, so was the undercarriage.

Is this normal? Should the DC05 generate this much heat? If it is overheating, is there some sort of powercut functionality on it that is causing the cutoff? Final question, any suggetions as to what would cause the overheating?

Thanks in advance ;)

Post subject: Re: Is my DC05 overheating??
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:01 pm 

Update!

Just fiddling with it (I was looking at the top filter) and it all of a sudden started working again! Observing it in use, a lot of hot air expels from where the cable drum lives, can anyone confirm if this is expected?

It just all of a sudden working again either suggests it was a power cutoff or some components need to be in certain places for it to work. Haven't nailed this down yet...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:43 pm 

Dyson model: DC14 Animal
There is a thermal cut-out to prevent overheating. It will let the machine turn back on when it has cooled down. Could be caused by a blockage in the cyclones (I'm assuming you've checked that the filters are clean).

The other option is a bad connection in the cable which is intermittent as the cable is flexed, but as you mention the heat I suspect it's overheating.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:31 pm 

Thanks for that, will check for blockages. Is the heat expected though? I should have added, not had this long, picked up 2nd hand and not had a canister one before. Is that amount if heat coming out of the back normal??

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:17 am 

Dyson model: DC14 Animal
They will get hot of coarse after a period of running but if you think it's too hot then trust your instincts! If as you say it's almost too hot to touch then something is wrong.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]