It is currently Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:22 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 15 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Dyson suing Vax for coping Dyson design
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:58 pm 

Dyson are suing Vax for copying one of Dyson's original registered bagless vacuum cleaner designs. The machine in question is the Vax Mach Zen:

Presumably it's the DC05 design they are concerned about. It does bear an uncanny resemblence...

It's not the first time this has happened of course; Dyson famously took Hoover to the cleaners and won many years ago. It's a shame to see other manufacturers resorting to blatant copyright infringement rather than invesment in research. Hopefully this case will go the same way.

Further details can be found over at the Guardian website:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2010/jan/27/dyson-sues-vax

Post subject: Re: Dyson suing Vax for coping Dyson design
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:00 pm 

It is infact the DC02 which Dyson are claiming that Vax has copied though personally I think it looks more like a cross between the DC02 and DC05.

Vax have issued the following response:

"Vax’s solicitors have analysed the case and advised Vax that Vax has a good case and does not infringe Dyson’s rights. Vax will be vigorously defending the case and is confident of victory. Vax is surprised to be accused of flagrant copying by Dyson. Although copying is technically not a relevant legal issue in the court action Dyson has launched, the fact is that Vax did not copy Dyson. The Vax product was independently designed by British designers at its headquarters in Droitwich Spa UK. Vax has no need to copy anyone."

So it's purely coincidence then? Come on Vax we wern't born yesterday! :)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:16 am 

Last edited by dysonanimal on Wed May 11, 2011 5:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:20 pm 

Dyson model: DC14 Animal
Interesting new info there dysonanimal. If Vax are right I would have expected someone to have challenged it at some point in the last 10-15 years since the DC02 was launched. And of coarse they would be implying that the IP Office didn't do their job properly when the design was first registered too. Good luck to them - sounds like they'll need it!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:56 pm 

Last edited by dysonanimal on Wed May 11, 2011 5:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:06 pm 

Last edited by dysonanimal on Wed May 11, 2011 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:24 am 

Last edited by dysonanimal on Wed May 11, 2011 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:21 pm 

Thanks for the update dysonanimal.

This is a really difficult one. Everyone involved in the design of the Vax must have been well aware of the DC02 and DC05 so when designing it they can't have helped but have been influenced by the Dyson designs.

I don't understand why Dyson took the claim against the DC02 rather than the DC05 but they are no muggs so there must have been a good reason. For me, the DC05 looks much more similar. The hose is mounted in the same place and the two machines both look quite angular and are of similar size. The locations and sizes of the wheels, handle and on/off switches are very similar between all 3 machines.

What is really tellying for me is that they decided to colour it like a Dyson. No-one was making machines in these colours before Dyson came along and while they are free to make a vacuum cleaner in whatever colour they like, the fact that they copied the Dyson colour scheme (just replacing yellow with orange) shows that they were intentionally trying to highlight the similarities with the Dysons.

Put it this way: if Dyson had never designed the DC02 and DC05 would Vax's machine have looked like it does? I think not, but whether this means that Dyson should have won the legal case or not I don't know.

I think the look of the Vax is intentionally designed to make people think "It's almost the same as a Dyson but much cheaper". I expect that approach will work for those on a budget, but it's a shame that some manufacturers take this approach rather than trying to make a better machine for themselves.

I'm sure Dyson will be concerned at the message this will send out to other manufacturers and I would be surprised if the competition's machines don't look even more similar to Dysons in the future.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:10 pm 

Last edited by dysonanimal on Wed May 11, 2011 5:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:13 pm 

True. I remember using one of those things! It's always suprised me that Dyson have never made a wet&dry machine. They should make one which looks just like a Vax! :lol:

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 15 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next