It is currently Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:21 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]
 Post subject: DC23 motor stopped but OK? and motor mount replacement
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:07 pm 

Dyson model: DC23
My wife plugged in DC23 (switch was on) and it started and stopped within a second, then wouldn’t come back on. She said she smelled burning.

I came in at this point. Power to wall socket was good. Read about 6000 ohms on motor winding so took it out. Checked plug and switch are good and continuity in cable through winder is good. Checked motor coil again after removing it and this time only 2.8 ohms. So now everything checks out OK. puzzled. Haven’t reassembled it due to second problem below.

Second issue, when I removed the motor, one screw parted. I notice the motor mount bushing is very loose on that point where the screw broke; other three mount bushings are tight. I infer the screw came loose and the motor shook enough to loosen the mount bushing and weaken the screw so it parted when I applied torque. I want to find a motor bucket to replace the one I have since you can’t replace only the motor mounts. The vacuum is at least 10 years old. I didn’t have complaints about the suction before, but should I just replace the motor anyway with new motor bucket assy?

What was the burning smell? Has anyone heard of elevated resistance reading of coil that disappeared?

Post subject: Re: DC23 motor stopped but OK? and motor mount replacement
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:18 pm 

Update: I purchased a new motor. It is very stiff to turn with my finger or screwdriver, whereas the old motor spins easily with the flick of a finger. Is this normal for a new motor?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:36 pm 

I installed the new motor and it is working well. So I answered my own question that the stiff turning of the new motor wasn't a problem. I never did try the old motor to see if it worked because the motor mount was loose, so I replaced it anyway.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 3:43 pm 

Dyson model: v6 fluffy
Sorry for the late reply. From what you have described and what you have done, clearly the motor was at fault. New motors, especially Genuine ones can be tight to turn. You should not be able to turn the old motor as easy as what you could.

The screws that snapped is a common problem we hear about. To much pressure is placed on the screws with how the motor is fitted to the machine.

We are glad that you was able to fix the issue, and can keep your Dyson going for longer.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]