It is currently Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:08 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ]
 Post subject: DC08 motor/filter replacement
PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:48 am 

Dyson model: DC08
I bought a dead DC08 on eBay for £25, as my current Samsung… well, I was going to say it sucks, but – boom boom – it doesn’t. Not very well anyway. And it really doesn't pick the hairs from my Maine Coon up.

I’m a computer engineer, and my hobby is fixing things, so this is a more natural way for me to acquire things than buying them working… stop laughing.

Anyway, taking it apart was easy, and the motor’s dead, so I need to buy a new one. Various vendors on eBay are selling replacements (not genuine Dyson, I assume, but I very much doubt if Dyson make motors themselves anyway) for £20, so I thought I’d buy one – then saw a note on the item saying that if you replaced the motor, you had to replace the filter (not the HEPA one, the other one) too.

Is this true? Of course, routine replacement of filters in anything which has them is a good idea, and these are filthy, but I've washed it and it looks OK…?

And the HEPA filter is thick and black with dirt – can I use a generic replacement, or does it need to be Dyson?

Thanks so much for providing this forum :mrgreen:

Post subject: Re: DC08 motor/filter replacement
PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:24 pm 

Dyson model: DC14 Animal
Hi Hogweed.

If the motor has expired then the likelihood is that it's because the carbon brushes have worn out - and will now be absorbed into the post motor filter so I can see why they recommend replacing it. They aren't supposed to be washable so I'm not sure if a wash will just make them look clean - they might still have tiny particles in and may be rendered ineffective by washing them (ie. they may not retain teh carbon any more). I suppose that could lead to a slight loss of suction too. I'd say ideally replace but you could probably get away with it.

The HEPA filter is washable and is supposed to be a lifetime filter though so I'd just give it a good wash. If you did want a new one though a generic "for Dyson" one would be fine.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:00 pm 

Onion wrote:
Hi Hogweed.

If the motor has expired then the likelihood is that it's because the carbon brushes have worn out - and will now be absorbed into the post motor filter so I can see why they recommend replacing it. They aren't supposed to be washable so I'm not sure if a wash will just make them look clean - they might still have tiny particles in and may be rendered ineffective by washing them (ie. they may not retain teh carbon any more). I suppose that could lead to a slight loss of suction too. I'd say ideally replace but you could probably get away with it.

Thanks so much for that. I ordered a motor with the two filters included – it was only a few more pounds, and the existing filters were in disgusting condition – I suspect they’d never been cleaned in the history of the machine.

The eBay vendor did come back to me this morning, and said that the old filters would “burn” if I put a new motor in – God knows what he meant by that!

Onion wrote:
The HEPA filter is washable and is supposed to be a lifetime filter though so I'd just give it a good wash. If you did want a new one though a generic "for Dyson" one would be fine.

Ummm… obviously I know little at this point, but isn't it the other one (blue sponge) which is washable, ie not the HEPA?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:28 pm 

The blue washable one is the HEPA.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:49 am 

Now that’s really weird. I’ve examined both my filters – the blue sponge one with the pictures of taps etc on it doesn't say HEPA anywhere – but the other one (which really doesn't look washable, does have HEPA printed on it!

Ah well… what do I know. I’ll just fit the new ones.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:07 pm 

Sorry, you're right! :oops: It's the post-motor filter which is the HEPA one.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:16 pm 

Onion wrote:
Sorry, you're right! :oops: It's the post-motor filter which is the HEPA one.

Me right... that's a first! Thanks for making my day.

Anyway, I'm assuming generic filters are OK...?

Can't wait to get the new motor and put it all back together again... I just LOVE fixing things!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:53 pm 

Generic filters will be fine. Good luck, though you sound like the sort of person who will now just look for the next thing to fix!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:40 pm 

Onion wrote:
Generic filters will be fine. Good luck, though you sound like the sort of person who will now just look for the next thing to fix!

I'm thinking a Jumbo Jet...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:05 am 

The sanity of the goal and pattern is for the individuals. The reform of the joy and https://eduvikings.com/essaytyper-com-review/ is passed out for the outages. Help is marked for the mid and center for all issues for humans.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ]