It is currently Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:28 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]
 Post subject: DC23 Motorhead Brushbar Keeps Shutting Off
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 3:11 pm 

Dyson model: dc23
The vacuum works fine as long as the motor for the brushbar isn't turned on. When I vacuum carpet and turn on the brushbar motor, the brushbar motor runs for a few seconds and then cuts off when I tilt the vacuum head to turn right or left. I have removed and cleaned the two brushbars, even though they were not in any way obstructed or bound by threads or hair or anything else. I'm mechanically inclined, so in order to try to find the problem I eventually removed the motor and took off the cover to the swivel mechanism and checked the wiring inside. No problems there. The red motor switch button (and the underlying actual black switch) are working correctly. The vacuum works fine and the motorhead motor doesn't shut off if I hold the vacuum head in the air and swivel the head back and forth. After taking the head apart and cleaning everything, it is immaculate inside. The motor drive to the brushbars moves freely. All indications seem to point to the brushbar sensor being too sensitive. The location of the sensor was not obvious to me when I took the motor out. I'd like to know where it is/what it looks like, if possible. Is it something I can disable in order to test whether it is the problem? Any other ideas? Any help GREATLY appreciated!

Post subject: Re: DC23 Motorhead Brushbar Keeps Shutting Off
PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:09 am 

Dyson model: DC23
I've got the same symptoms when using my DC23 motorhead. At first I thought it was too much strain on the brush head.
I opened up the motorhead but there was nothing obvious in there and frankly I'm not qualified to diagnose it.
I did clean the 3 pins on the connector that plugs into the power wand hose with alcohol - both male and female ends. Plugged it in and it seemed to run continuously but then started to stall again.
I opened up the female side of the connector on the hose. I noticed that the blue wire was loose. I believe this is the reason for the motorhead stalling. It's intermittent. It seems the angle of the power wand hose may affect if the connector loses contact and the motorhead stalls.
I wasn't able to pull the 3 pin connector out as it has a one way locking mechanism that probably requires special tooling. If anyone has tips on how to remove it, I may be able to replace the terminals inside and establish a secure connection.

Attachments:
dyson 2.JPG
dyson 2.JPG [ 72.3 KiB | Viewed 1889 times ]
dyson 1.JPG
dyson 1.JPG [ 58.6 KiB | Viewed 1889 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:08 pm 

Dyson model: DC23
Mine is doing the same thing. Were you ever able to fix it?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:20 am 

Dyson model: DC23 and V6
Hi all, wondering if anyone came up with an answer. I’ve got exactly the same issue and pretty much got to the same point as all of you! Taken the head apart and can’t see anything obvious but don’t know enough to see where the resistance sensor would be (seems like the obvious issue). Opened up the female pins on the hose too but no luck there for me.

Post subject: Fixed - DC23 Motorhead Brushbar Keeps Shutting Off
PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:32 pm 

Dyson model: DC23 Motorhead
Re: Motorhead keeps cutting off when moving about.

Hi,

Similar symptom to some of you, went straight for the Motorhead like most of you.

Not sure if your issues is as obvious as what mine was but here’s what I found.

There is a touch connector inside the hose mid-section joint. One of the connectors had it’s fix point broken and the connector became loose and not making contact properly. I fixed it in place with powerglue and done. Issue gone.

Had my DC23 for 7 years and still the best sucker comparing to other vacuum on the market.

Hope this helps, good luck.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]