It is currently Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:38 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 1 post ]
 Post subject: How do I fix motor on DC18 brush unit?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:29 pm 

Dyson model: dc18
I have two DC18s on one the brush is not spinning. I have taken off the two side covers, removed brushes, cleaned, re-assembled, and pressed reset. I then took off the foot plate (with the cross-head-screws), and cleaned more. The motor will not spin, even with no load (no brushes). I have swapped this assembly with the other machine. The fault follows the brush assembly (so not the rest of the machine).

The next step that I see is to get my torx driver out, and dissemble more (motor housing). Can anyone guide me, to some advice on this? (Up to this point it was obvious, without any help. But I feel like a manual of tutorial would be of help.

My experience: Engineer, and competent electrician.

Edit:
I have now removed the 6 torx screws, and disassembled the motor housing. Two on top, two on bottom, two hidden in the suction pipe (where it attaches to the rest of the machine).
  • Side vents full of dust, blowing on them cleaned them.
  • The first thing I saw was the trip switch contacts, so did an electrical-continuity check. It passed.
  • Next I checked the wires. Passed.
  • Checked electrical-continuity across motor. None. Tried rotating motor, still no continuity.
  • Next I notice that the motor has two large sticky out bits (probably the brush holders). I wonder how they come apart.

The motor:
- Johnson dc771(2)xllg 240V 50Hz

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 1 post ]