DC35 Motorised Head stops spinning - replace motor?
It is currently Sun May 27, 2018 7:20 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]
 Post subject: DC35 Motorised Head stops spinning - replace motor?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:38 am 

Dyson model: DC35 Animal
I have a DC35 Animal handheld which is great but when I'm using it on carpets I find that the backwards motion of my stroke causes the motor to stop the rotating brush in the head from spinning. The only way to get it to start again is to take my finger off the power trigger, lift it up, then pull the trigger again and allow it to 'spin up' before placing it back onto the floor again.

Dyson talked me through some checks on the phone (including removing/cleaning the rotating brush in the head - didn't do anything) and came to the conclusion that the motor in the head was probably worn out or not as strong as it used to be.

I'm reluctant to re-purchase a completely new head at £60 unless I know it's the only solution...so my query is, is it possible to replace the motor in the DC35 head or is it just worth me buying a completely new head? And, in addition to that, for someone who bought the DC35 Animal for its increased power (even though I don't own a pet!), is it even worth me having the motorised head or could I just replace it with a standard non-motorised head and get a similar amount of suction? The only thing I wouldn't want to lose in that situation would be the lovely articulating ball-joint on the motorised head, as I really appreciate the dexterity this allows when vacuuming.

Let me know your thoughts! :-)

Post subject: Re: DC35 Motorised Head stops spinning - replace motor?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:29 pm 

Dyson model: dc-35
Electrical motors do not become weak; rather bearings may fail, either getting looser or seizing. What does cause (no excessive buildup on the beater brush and no jammed full tube or air flow seperator housing) a long used Dyson powerhead to stop regularly is the electrical contacts in the 360 degree rotation capability of the powerhead.

This mechanism maintains electrical contact by 2 sets of copper rings, one for the power line, the other for the return line. I recently took a spare powerhead apart that had the failure and found little dust bunnies embedded in the dielectric grease. When the contact system runns into a dust bunny, electrical power is interupted and the motor stops.

Unfortunately. this part of the powerhead cannot be fixed as the two parts of the 360 degree coupling cannot be non-destructively separated. I took apart mine because I had replaced that part of the powerhead using its motor and hood assemblies and wanted to see how the continous circuit was maintained.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:33 pm 

Dyson model: DC35 Animal
Thanks for the info. Maybe I'll take a look and see if cleaning those contacts would help any.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:31 pm 

Dyson model: dc-35
You can't get to the rotating electrical joint. The rotating assembly consists of two parts that are held together by an expanded snap ring that cannot be compressed.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]