It is currently Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:04 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 15 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Auto carpet height adjustment doesn't work
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:30 pm 

My DC07's automatic carpet height adjustment stopped working a while ago (but after it was out of warranty). The brush will not stay in contact with the carpet. Even if you push it all the way down with your foot, within a few push strokes the brush is no longer in contact. We've had parts fixed/replaced, but nothing has worked.

In looking underneath it, there appears to be nothing that keeps the beater bar assembly (bearing housing/sole plate/beater bar) in regular contact with the carpet. The spring loaded locking bar underneath (the black bar under the gray housing) seems like it should push down on the beater bar assembly/bearing housing, but it doesn't. There is even a little indentation in the bearing housing that looks as if it should accept the lock, but it barely touches in any position.

If it helps, I'm referring to parts 2, 3, 6, and 13 in this diagram.

Any ideas? It seems like carpet height adjustment works by something (gently) pushing down the bearing housing/sole plate so the beater bar stays in contact with the carpet. On mine, that doesn't happen. You can use your foot mash the assembly down until it comes in contact, but within a few pushes/pulls of the vacuum, the back of the bearing housing/sole plate/beater bar lift off the carpet and it stops picking things up well.

Post subject: Re: Auto carpet height adjustment doesn't work
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:12 am 

What piece is designed to exert the downward pressure on the assemble to keep it in contact with the carpet? I stopped at a Walmart today and played with a Dyson there. On the one in the store, there is something that always pushes the heel of the soleplate down. What does that?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:34 pm 

Dyson model: DC14 Animal
Hi ChadA,

The auto height adjustment just works by the weight of the cleanerhead about the pivot (there is nothing which positively pushes it against the carpet). The action of pushing the cleanerhead onto the floor when you tip the main body back also engages the clutch and the airflow switchover mechanism on the right side of the machine as you stand behind it. It might be worth having a closer look around that area, keeping an eye out for obstructions or broken parts of the mechanisms.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:52 pm 

Onion wrote:
Hi ChadA,

The auto height adjustment just works by the weight of the cleanerhead about the pivot (there is nothing which positively pushes it against the carpet). The action of pushing the cleanerhead onto the floor when you tip the main body back also engages the clutch and the airflow switchover mechanism on the right side of the machine as you stand behind it. It might be worth having a closer look around that area, keeping an eye out for obstructions or broken parts of the mechanisms.

Thanks for the reply. Interesting. When I was looking at one in the store (and it was laying down), there was some spring to the soleplate assembly: when you pushed the heel of the soleplate up, it returned to its original position by itself.

I had it apart last night and nothing appears amiss in my non-expert opinion. But I know nothing about vacuums. :)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:16 am 

An update (resolution?) to my problem.

I called Dyson tech support and a very nice lady said they'd seen cases where situations like these had been resolved by replacing the internal hose (the short hose that connects from the underside to the brush/soleplate assembly).

I thought that was odd, so I decided to see if I could confirm if that would do anything by returning to my local WalMart. Once again, I took their similar-model Dyson and laid it down. I managed to remove the internal hose and found, to my surprise, that the soleplate assembly no longer had any spring to it; it just flopped around. With the hose reinstalled, the soleplate's springiness returned and it would once again push the heel of the soleplate down.

Buoyed by this, I bought an internal hose for $12.55 off a seller on Amazon. Lo and behold, my Dyson is back. :) I just used it this evening and there was no problem with contact between beater bar and carpet. The soleplate stayed flat against the carpet, as it should. It seems the internal hose does indeed apply some downward pressure to the back of the soleplate, helping keep it in contact with the carpet. Our old one had lost its flex and wouldn't spring back to its original straight shape anymore. Who knew a $13 part would fix a $400 vacuum?

It does make me mad at the service shop that replaced a bunch of parts (to the tune of $100 or so) and didn't fix the problem.....

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:23 pm 

Dyson model: DC14 Animal
Good work ChadA. It was a strange solution, I would never have thought of that. Glad you got to the bottom of it and thanks for sharing the solution.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:53 pm 

ChadA wrote:

It does make me mad at the service shop that replaced a bunch of parts (to the tune of $100 or so) and didn't fix the problem.....

The independent vac-shops (indies) are no fans of Dyson - their ideal customer is one who buys an expensive 'premium' brand cleaner from them, then continues to visit to buy overpriced bags, belts and filters. A Dyson cleaner is their worst nightmare, because it's a high-end cleaner you can buy from a big-box store along with your groceries. You pay once, and are set for at least 5 years - hopefully a lot longer! No replacement bags, belts, or filters, and a 5 year warranty.

If you have a problem and take your Dyson to a vac-shop, you'll often find they'll give you a ridiculous quote for the simplest routine repair, or recommend replacement of unnecessary parts, because they're hoping you'll say 'Oh well - for that price I might as well buy a new cleaner...'. And then, of course, they'll steer you towards their favourite premium bagged brand!

This is not to say all indies are dishonest - of course that's not the case - but Dyson have taken a huge chunk out of their bag-sales revenue, and they're fighting back. Ultimately, it's the trusting consumer who pays the price. In your case, it seems they've made off with $100 of your money, replaced unnecessary parts, and failed to solve a very simple problem. One call to Dyson's helpline is all the assistance most people need, and many will find issues are covered under warranty, or matters of user-error are quickly identified and solved.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:07 pm 

dysonanimal wrote:
In your case, it seems they've made off with $100 of your money, replaced unnecessary parts, and failed to solve a very simple problem. One call to Dyson's helpline is all the assistance most people need, and many will find issues are covered under warranty, or matters of user-error are quickly identified and solved.

The shop that did the "fix" was one Dyson sent me to when they didn't want to help me because I was out of warranty. Back then, Dyson hardly wanted to speak to you on the phone if you were out of warranty. When I called last month and got the hose idea, that person was much more hospitable and helpful.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:16 pm 

That's very surprising to hear - most people report excellent service from Dyson's helpline, in or out of the warranty period; the company's built it's reputation on high customer satisfaction. It should have been a simple fix for them to send out a new internal hose - it's available to order from Dyson's website (see link).

http://www.dyson.com/store/partsDetails.asp?part=ACC-DC04714INTHOSE-GEN&product=DC07

The internal hoses can fail with age and use, and that really should have been one of the first things the vac-shop checked for. It's astonishing they found $100-worth of parts to replace, without doing that!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:21 pm 

Dyson model: DC33 MultiFloor
ChadA wrote:
An update (resolution?) to my problem.

I called Dyson tech support and a very nice lady said they'd seen cases where situations like these had been resolved by replacing the internal hose (the short hose that connects from the underside to the brush/soleplate assembly).

I thought that was odd, so I decided to see if I could confirm if that would do anything by returning to my local WalMart. Once again, I took their similar-model Dyson and laid it down. I managed to remove the internal hose and found, to my surprise, that the soleplate assembly no longer had any spring to it; it just flopped around. With the hose reinstalled, the soleplate's springiness returned and it would once again push the heel of the soleplate down.

Buoyed by this, I bought an internal hose for $12.55 off a seller on Amazon. Lo and behold, my Dyson is back. :) I just used it this evening and there was no problem with contact between beater bar and carpet. The soleplate stayed flat against the carpet, as it should. It seems the internal hose does indeed apply some downward pressure to the back of the soleplate, helping keep it in contact with the carpet. Our old one had lost its flex and wouldn't spring back to its original straight shape anymore. Who knew a $13 part would fix a $400 vacuum?

Hi ChadA

The short internal hose that runs from the topside of the soleplate to the upper connection near to the motor, is usually the cause of the brushbar not remaining in contact with the floor (the hose is too taught). I've experienced that twice now and the last time was only a couple of weeks ago when I gave my son's DC07 a quick service (filters, new belt, cleaned and check all removable parts for blockages, washed the brushbar, soleplate and dust collector) and, when I put the short hose back on, I screwed it up too much on to the top side of the soleplate and when I was testing it, the was Dyson base (and brushbar) was not in contact with the floor, so I eased off the hose connection to the soleplate and we had the DC07 back again.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 15 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next