It is currently Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:03 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]
 Post subject: DC41 Upright drags on bare floors
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:44 pm 

Dyson model: DC41 Animal
My DC41 Animal upright has just started dragging on hardwood floors. I disassembled the cleaner head and removed all the dog hair wound around the various bearings and spindles and dug all the dust, etc out of the bellows so the sole plate moves freely, but it still drags. It's fine on carpet. It feels as if the sole plate is being sucked down firmly to the floor and resists being moved.

Aren't the rollers on the sole plate supposed to prevent that?

I noticed two things: One is that the center roller, the one on the brush bar transmission (for want of a better term) is worn. The rubber on the wheel seems to be loose on the roller. The second is that the sole plate seemed to be covered with a sticky film. This film was hard and scraped off fairly easily, but removing it doesn't seem to have helped anything.

The sole plate doesn't appear to be worn. Would replacing it solve this problem?

Thanks,

Post subject: Re: DC41 Upright drags on bare floors
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:28 pm 

Dyson model: v6 fluffy
Hi,

The 'film' that you are experiencing is a common problem. It is normally caused by having pets, mainly dogs. The oil from the dogs coat gets released into the carpet where it mixes with your dust, this then sticks to your vacuum soleplate, hence the film.

The black motor casing that is the middle of the cleaner head should have a small roller wheel, if this or the casing is worn (or if the wheel is missing) then this will cause the head to be to close to the floor, which may be causing the dragging.

Do you have a photo showing the bottom of the cleanerhead?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:27 pm 

Dyson model: DC41 Animal
bulbrook wrote:
Hi,

The 'film' that you are experiencing is a common problem. It is normally caused by having pets, mainly dogs. The oil from the dogs coat gets released into the carpet where it mixes with your dust, this then sticks to your vacuum soleplate, hence the film.

The black motor casing that is the middle of the cleaner head should have a small roller wheel, if this or the casing is worn (or if the wheel is missing) then this will cause the head to be to close to the floor, which may be causing the dragging.

Do you have a photo showing the bottom of the cleanerhead?

We have dogs, and they're long coated Shetland Sheepdogs, so that explains the film. Easy enough to clean off. The motor casing is in good condition, but the roller is in poor shape. The rubber or soft plastic covering of the roller is loose and moves side to side. I have pictures but unfortunately I have nowhere to host them since Photobucket disabled third party viewing ("hot linking") in a cash grab a couple of years ago.

So am I correct in thinking my troubles will be over if I replace that roller? It appears to be about a $3.50 part. Is there any trick to replacing it? Do I just reach in there with a needle nose pliers and pull the axle out, or is there more to it?

Thanks again,

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:38 am 

Dyson model: v6 fluffy
No there is a bit more to it than that. Some axles are held in place better than others and may bed/break when being removed. What colour is your brushbar on the cleanerhead?

If you do replace the roller, make sure you replace it with one of a similar size, if it does not spin freely it will wear flat on one side causing the same issues as before. To loose and you will get to much 'play' causing it to again wear.

You will seen on the black motor casing there is a tiny screw either side (make note of which come from where) if you take these out you may be able to part it enough to just get the axle out without causing damage. Note: Care must be taken as Dyson parts are not built like they use to,

Hope this helps

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]