It is currently Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:34 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 1 post ]
 Post subject: Troubleshooting broken brush bar on DC25
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:18 pm 

Dyson model: DC 25
Hello,

I have a Dyson DC25 and the brush bar will no longer turn. The belt is intact and the bar is free of obstructions. I understand the problem is likely to be either the switches, the wiring just above the brush bar attachment, or the brush bar motor. I have been taking things apart and trying to narrow in on the problem using a multimeter, but I could use some of your expert guidance.

The two power switches (vaccuum and brush bar) both seem to work since they show continuity when in the ON position only, as I would expect. The reset switch shows continuity all the time, which I'm not sure is what it should be doing. The wiring above the brush bar connection area seems to be undamaged as far as I can access and see it.

When I take off the brush bar and measure the voltage coming out of the two contacts, it seems to "switch" between two different voltages when I activate the brush bar switch. The voltages are both pretty low, like between 1 and 4 volts (sorry I forgot to write down the exact numbers). I would have expected to see 0 volts then something higher than 4 volts when engaged.

In short, my questions are:
1) How can I test the reset switch with a multimeter? If it shows continuity all the time, does that mean it is shorted out?
2) What voltages should be showing up on the contacts at the brush bar attachment point when the brush is switched off and on?

Any guidance you can offer would be greatly appreciated, and I'm happy to respond with more info if that helps. I really don't want to buy a whole new brush bar and find out it was something further up the chain.

Thanks!

Jack

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 1 post ]