DC-34 Symptons...
It is currently Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:40 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]
 Post subject: DC-34 Symptons...
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:14 am 

Dyson model: DC-34
Hello All.

Hope you all had a great Festive Break. ;)

I have been kindly handed down a Dyson Handheld DC-34............

........but it is not working. :?

I have given it a good clean and all parts seem up together.

I plug in the charger to the wall and into the vacuum.

No light shows on the adpater or charges the battery...........totally FLAT!! :(

Please can anyone advise me on what to do to get the vac working as it is in brilliant nick and doesn't deserve to go in the bin.........................yet!

Post subject: Re: DC-34 Symptons...
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:20 pm 

Wow! This place is really helpful.

Surely my question isn't too difficult to answer?

...anyone please??
:shock:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:47 pm 

Dyson model: DC34 and DC50
Hi Merton

I just joined because I bought a broken DC34 and am trying to repair it.

So you do not get any LEDs coming on either the top of the DC34 itself OR on the charger, presumably even when you try pulling the trigger on the dyson either, is that correct? Just no lights at all, at any point?

Check to make sure the light on the charger does not come on briefly when you first switch it on at the wall, or for a moment when you plug it into the dyson. Does it even flicker or anything?

Do you have a multimeter at all?

I think you need to measure if the battery has any charge already in it, then at least you have some info to work from.
But I'm sure the charger should at very least light up briefly even if the battery is full, and if the battery is flat then it should light up while charging, so either way, it suggests to me that the charger is faulty.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:09 pm 

Hi there.

It's been a while and becuase of no replies (up until now), I have done various checks throughout the machine.

In the end I bought a charger off eBay from HK for £5 and not some horrendous price from Dyson itself.!!

And it all works perfectly.

So I have a good as brand new machine for about £8.

RESULT!
:lol:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:43 am 

Ahh, that's a really nice cheap solution - well done!

I wasn't so lucky.
The one I had was showing just a single flash on its LED and the battery was fully charged with no problem.

I found after opening it up that the rotor part of the motor will sit in two positions (180 degrees from each other), and in one position it would start up fine for a few seconds at least, and in the other position it would not run at all.
A bit more investigation showed that the circuit on the back of the motor had what seemed like a driver chip for each of these two positions/poles and one had blown itself, so I looked up the numbers on the healthy looking one but could not find it online to get a replacement chip.

It looked a bit small re' the connections for me to solder though, so there's a good chance I'd have made it worse trying to replace it.
So it's kinda junk this one unless I can get another broken one where this circuit is ok and swap them over maybe.

It's a shame because the motor itself is capable of running perfectly and the battery seems to have a decent charge, but just a tiny little circuit that I cannot find online is preventing it from running, and it has about $3 worth of components on it, but without being able to replace it/them, it's junk. :(

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:58 pm 

There is plenty of spares and repairs on eBay, but guessing you are from the US, I don't know what is available over there.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:54 pm 

Thanks - no, I'm in the UK, but I haven't been able to find these motor driver circuit boards anywhere for sale so far, never mind on ebay (my lazy source for just about everything these days!).

Not sure if anyone actually sells them as spare parts as I think Dyson's intention is that if you get a fault like this that you pay a ton for a whole replacement motor/handgrip unit, rather than them be able to supply a tiny £5 circuit board with a few components on it.

I can understand them not wanting to just flog parts like that to normal consumers, since these things aren't actually fun to crack open anyway, and a lot of people wouldn't really want/or even be able necessarily to solder wires onto a new board etc.
But it's a shame still that they maybe don't appear to make parts like that available to people doing service work though (since normally if that happens then you can also buy such bits online).

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:49 pm 

Your best bet is to buy a broken down one off eBay and strip it for the bits needed.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]