Switch to full style
Dyson discussion, news, rumours and more...
Post a reply

Saved from the dumpster!

Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:21 pm

I'm very happy, or "chuffed" as I think the English would say, to announce that I have rebuilt as new a 13 year old Dyson 14 Animal vacuum or "hoover" as I think they say in England. It had a burned out motor and the floor attachment/sole plate was not working. Now all is well.

Tom

Re: Saved from the dumpster!

Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:39 am

Care to share how did you fix it?

Re: Saved from the dumpster!

Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:35 pm

I'm happy to share. I hope my experience may help someone. To replace the motor, I followed the video at this link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMQ2dCl ... e=youtu.be It's the best video out there by far. I had bought a used motor from ebay. It was guaranteed, free shipping, $30.00.
( A new one was $80.00 or so plus shipping.) When I finished, I turned it on and voila, it ran perfectly . Except for one thing. Suction was very weak at the floor but very strong at the wand. This took me a long, long time to figure out.
It turns out there is a rope-like gasket underneath the soleplate. It was dirty and causing leakage. I removed it and saw there were no tears or rips. So I cleaned it and all the parts inside the floor brush housing. Then I spent a long time fitting the soleplate back on so that it was really tight. Problem solved. The unit now performs as it did when my wife received it a Christmas present 13 years ago.

Regards,
Tom
Post a reply