I'm happy to share. I hope my experience may help someone. To replace the motor, I followed the video at this link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMQ2dCl ... e=youtu.be
It's the best video out there by far. I had bought a used motor from ebay. It was guaranteed, free shipping, $30.00.
( A new one was $80.00 or so plus shipping.) When I finished, I turned it on and voila, it ran perfectly . Except for one thing. Suction was very weak at the floor but very strong at the wand. This took me a long, long time to figure out.
It turns out there is a rope-like gasket underneath the soleplate. It was dirty and causing leakage. I removed it and saw there were no tears or rips. So I cleaned it and all the parts inside the floor brush housing. Then I spent a long time fitting the soleplate back on so that it was really tight. Problem solved. The unit now performs as it did when my wife received it a Christmas present 13 years ago.